Education and learning

Adult education

Voksen student Foto fra et norskkurs

Society changes continuously. New technologies are developed all the time and this has consequences for jobs. It demands that employees stay up-to-date and continuously educate themselves.

Adults can choose an entirely new career path, continue an education started in the past, or study specific subjects on the primary or secondary educational level to meet new requirements in their profession.

A wide range of courses are organised for adults, from hobby and language classes to qualifying courses. The government often finances part of the fees for these courses.

The municipality is responsible for offering primary and secondary education, while the county municipalities are responsible for offering upper secondary education to adults. Adults with the right to primary, secondary or upper secondary education receive this education free of charge. There are also many private schools that offer upper secondary education for adults.

Job seekers can be offered the possibility to attend various courses through the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV). The goal of this is to qualify course participants for jobs in specific industries. The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service covers the cost and also often pays the tuition fee for participants in such courses.


The right of adults to primary and secondary education

All adults who do not have a primary or secondary school education have the right to this education, which is free of charge. More information can be obtained from the municipality.

The right of adults to upper secondary education

Adults who have completed primary and secondary school but not upper secondary school, have the right to upper secondary education. The adults’ right also applies if you have completed upper secondary education in your home country, but this education has not been approved in Norway. The county municipality is responsible for arranging this.

Recognition of degrees from other countries

If you learned a profession in another country but do not a certificate or degree, you can demonstrate your skills through a practical vocational test. This test is aimed at evaluating and recognising competences on an upper secondary educational level, although it is also possible to have learned a skill without any formal training. See the NOKUT website for more information.