Services available and recommended to immigrants

Services available and recommended to immigrants

People who are new to Norway often come into contact with many different public offices and agencies. Examples include the National Registry, municipal kindergarten offices, medical centres, the Norwegian Tax Administration and the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (Nav
A number of these organisations are examined in more detail below.

It is important to know what the different agencies do and how to find them. A lot of contact with public agencies etc. takes place via the internet. Many forms can be found online, and information is available on the websites of the different agencies. All Norwegian municipalities have their own website with information for inhabitants.

The function of the Norwegian Tax Administration (Skatteetaten) is to ensure that direct and indirect taxes are paid. When you are going to work in Norway, you will need a tax card. The first time you need a tax card, you can order it at   It will be sent directly to your employer and shows how much tax will be deducted from your salary each month.

The National Registry (Folkeregisteret) is part of the Norwegian Tax Administration. It is a public register of all persons who reside or have resided in Norway. People who move to a new address must notify the National Registry within eight days. The notification can be submitted online. The National Registry is also responsible for name changes and for issuing personal identity numbers and D numbers. If you are going to get married, you must contact the National Registry.

The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (Nav) is a public agency that provides a range of different services. Among other things, Nav is responsible for:

  • child benefit
  • cash-for-care benefit
  • sickness benefit
  • unemployment benefit
  • disability benefit
  • pensions

Nav also offers services to unemployed people. Many people take courses paid for by Nav, and the goal of these courses is to help participants to find work.

Right to interpreter services
Immigrants may need to use an interpreter until they have learnt sufficient Norwegian. Public sector employees, such as Nav staff, police officers and health personnel, have a duty to ensure that the information and guidance they provide is understood. That is why immigrants have a right to use an interpreter. The public authorities pay for such services.